Friday 15 April 2011

Robo Jo-Jo Exclusive - Koele Koen Interview

Robo Jo-Jo: So tell us who Koele Koen is, where do you come from, how old are you and when did you start designing art ?

Koele Koen:

I'm a 21 year old simple guy from Belgium, Antwerp. I started drawing when I was 3 but the real designing for clients started 3 years ago and I'm stepping up my game ever since.


Robo Jo-Jo: How old were you when you got influenced by the art you enjoy now ?

Koele Koen:

I had many influences along the years, but I can say my biggest influence was when I was about 17.


Robo Jo-Jo: What are your main influences of artist that you like and what do you see in the art you like ?

Koele Koen:

My biggest influence was without a doubt Derek Deal, I randomly found an artwork of this guy on the internet, it was a T-shirt design for Emmure
and right there and then I knew I wanted to do the kind of stuff he was into,along the way I found many inspiring and helpful people like Felix Laflamme,Stephen Bunnell,Dan Mumford, Mutationsartwork,
Matthew Skiff, Godmachine,...
I Really like the way those artists can create a new reality that is unreal,their comic style combined with gore elements is something I've always admired. It makes something nasty acceptable.

Robo Jo-Jo: What do you do when you design your art in your working station,how long does it take you to finish a design you made and what do you like to have in hand. ?

Koele Koen:

I mainly drink a lot of coffee when I'm designing haha. Making a whole new artwork from scratch does take a day or 2 but since I'm not a fulltime designer (yet?) I have to schedule my amount of time I can spend in my working station.
I don't really have the need to have "things in hand" but I will make a remark if I do not agree or have a suggestion for my client.


Robo Jo-Jo: What is your art set up what software do you use and what's in your working station
Koele Koen:

I'm using a basic Wacom drawing board: Intuos 4M as hardware (combined with my laptop) The software I use is mainly Adobe Illustrator CS4 and Photoshop for mock ups of shirts. I also like to have lots of plants around me for some reason.


Robo Jo-Jo: If you could do an art design with anyone who would it be and why? And if you could meet anyone that is an artist or a talented person who would it be ?

Koele Koen:

I would like to work with Derek Deal, his style is simple but effective, I really love his work and helping him would be a major honor. If I could meet anyone in real life it would be Mutations Artwork (fernandes Jeferson) He's a talented guy but also
an amazing friend, he helped me hundreds of times and even designed my tattoo.



Robo Jo-Jo: what is your favourite thing to eat or drink ?

Koele Koen:

drink: coffee and monster energy, that’s my basic survival kit hah



Robo Jo-Jo: who is you favourite producer/dj in Belgium and how is the music scene in
where you're from ?

Koele Koen:

That would be Sound Of Stereo, these guys got me dancing several times at major festivals/parties. Music scene in Belgium is really vivid, the main cities really support the underground music
and there is always a party, event or concert you can go to.



Robo Jo-Jo: what is it that you love about art and designing and what is your favourite genre of music ?

Koele Koen:

The way I can express myself is amazing also the freedom of creating new things and show others what's in my head is an experience I love. I love many sorts of music.
Depends on my mood mainly, could be DnB, Metalcore, Blues, Indie, old school rock,....



Robo Jo-Jo: What is your top 5 Favorite Movies and what is your top artist/tracks of 2010 and so far in 2011 and who do you think is going to kill it this year. ?

Koele Koen:

Top 5 movies, to be honest I always forget the movies I watch and 2010 wasn't really a movie year for me. Artists/tracks. Tough one, 2010 was really a blasting year but the album that stuck with me the most was without a doubt  “Bring Me The Horizon - There is a hell  believe me I’ve  seen it, there is a heaven let’s keep it a secret” the others would be heaven shall burn, Borgore, Her Bright Skies and The Wombats. 2011: has been a killer already thanks to Architects, Foo Fighters and White Lies.

      
Robo Jo-Jo: any new art designs that the world should know about in they future ?

Koele Koen:

Yeah I'll be getting more heavy and more into the death/metalcore although keep your eyes peeled cause I'm working for some big Belgium trash electro producers as well!

Robo Jo-Jo: How many designs do you do usually at once and what was your favorite design so far ?  What is your favorite one your doing and any special designs to look out for

Koele Koen:

I combine 2 or 3 designs mostly, so I can keep everyone up to date and catch up with everything. My fav one I've done is Define These Words, it was simple but I really loved working for them. The one that's my fav now must be
the one for Robo Jo-Jo+ a  Belgium trash producer whose name I can't tell yet, make sure to check those out when done!





Robo Jo-Jo: Any Advice for Upcoming Artists / DJs / producers / Bands / designers ?

Koele Koen:

Just keep pushing and trying and give everything you have, you will have ups but also downs, just make sure the downs don't hold you back, don’t be shy and ask help and opinions of other artists!
Also important, focus on the people who want to HELP and SUPPORT you, instead of the critics that try to break you down.



Robo Jo-Jo: shout outs ?

Koele Koen:

(twitter) Special shout outs to Mutations Artwork (@mutationsartwrk), Vieze Vincent (@viezevincent) Stephen Bunnell (@cryface) Felix Laflamme (@felixlaflamme) and all my friends,family and clients who supported me and got me where I'm standing today.

Robo Jo-Jo: How did you get into art and designing pictures for all these artist DJ’s and

Koele Koen:

producers and who would you want to do an design for.
I got to work for all these producers because of the support and publicity everyone gave me, they put my work out there and made sure it got noticed.
My ultimate dream is to create something for the Foo Fighters since they are my nr 1 inspiration. But their style is different than my artwork so the chance for that is rather small.



Favorite track:
In Fear And Faith-Your World On Fire




Special thanks to Koele Koen for the interview and taking the time to be part of it. Big ups for making such amazing designs and enjoying the music that is out there today check out his fan page and get all they up dates and everything else from Koele Koen become a fan.

Koele Koen Fanpage/Art Page.

No comments:

Post a Comment